Get in touch with us now

What is Unoccupied Home Insurance?

Unoccupied home insurance can provide coverage for your home if it is left unoccupied for more than 30 days. This type of insurance can offer 3, 6, or 12-month policies for a variety of circumstances. Coverage for your contents may also be included in this type of policy.

When should you consider unoccupied home insurance?

You should consider unoccupied home insurance if:

  • You are selling your home
  • Your property is undergoing renovation
  • It is a Holiday Home or Second Home and you will visit on rare occasions
  • It is a let property and their is a gap in tenancy
  • You are inheriting the home and it is going through probate
  • You are going on that dream holiday and there’s no one available to reside at your property
  • Substantial gap between exchange and completion of house selling contracts

  • Bespoke short term policies with the option for 3, 6 and 12-month policies (although 12 month is post popular)
  • Up to £10,000 of general contents included at no extra cost
  • Up to £1,000,000 of buildings cover included as standard with some of our products
  • Property Owners Liability of up to £2,000,0000 as standard
  • Choose from three levels of cover from F.L.E.A Only to Full Perils

Get a quote now

Your name(Required)


Why do you need unoccupied home insurance?

Unoccupied home insurance is important for a number of reasons. First, it can help to protect the property from vandalism or damage that can occur when it is not being lived in. Second, it can help to protect the property from liability claims that may arise if someone is injured on the property. Finally, unoccupied home insurance can help to protect the property from loss or damage that can occur due to a variety of natural disasters. Read our article to find out how much it will cost to insure your unoccupied home.

Why choose Stanhope for your unoccupied home insurance?

Stanhope is part of Stanhope Cooper, an award-winning business, based in Hampshire. Stanhope is a leading provider of niche and specialist insurance to the UK home insurance market, voted as High Net Worth Insurance Broker of the Year 2018 at the UK Broker Awards (Insurance Age). We focus on providing solutions that fit outside the standard UK home insurance norms, including high value home and home contents insurance. 

We provide customers with a bespoke High Value Home Insurance solution that fits their unique insurance needs. Our expert team is dedicated to providing exceptional levels of customer service and want all our customers to know that they have the right high value home and contents insurance policy in place at the right price, for their specific set of circumstances.

Unoccupied Home Insurance FAQs

What does unoccupied home insurance cover?

There are different three levels of cover on offer for an unoccupied homes, namely:

FLEA / FLEE: This is an entry level cover which offers protection against a limited amount of perils, namely: Fire, Lightning, Earthquake, Explosion, and Aircraft.
Level 1: This covers everything you’d expect from a usual home insurance product but will not cover Escape of Water, Theft or Attempted Theft and Malicious damage.
Level 2: This covers everything you’d expect from a usual home insurance. This is the highest level of cover you can obtain on an unoccupied property.

How much does unoccupied home insurance cost?

It depends on the type of cover you’re looking for (see what does unoccupied home insurance cover?). FLEA / FLEE only cover is very low in cost as the perils covered are limited. Level 2 cover will be higher in cost due to the increased cover on offer.

When is unoccupied home insurance necessary?

When the property will not be resided in for two consecutive nights for a period of 60 consecutive days and / or the property is not furnished for normal habitation (IE there are no beds at the property, to cutlery, no kettle, etc)

Who needs unoccupied home insurance?

Anyone that is legally responsible for a property that is not habited, lived in or occupied.

What are the benefits of unoccupied home insurance?

Peace of mind for a property which is exposed to certain perils because of it’s occupancy status.

Council tax implications on empty homes

Your local council could charge premium rates for empty property, read our article on the blog page concerning this.