Get in touch with us now

What is Thatched Property Insurance?

Thatched property insurance policy is a specific type of homeowners insurance that is designed to protect homes with thatched roofs. Thatched roofs are made from a variety of materials including straw, reeds, and even palm fronds, and are common in rural areas and some historic districts. Because thatched roofs are more susceptible to fire than other types of roofs, thatched property insurance policies typically offer higher levels of coverage for fire damage.

What Should I Consider before Making an Enquiry?

The Thatched property insurance market is limited with only a handful of providers offering solutions. Our present thatched property products will offer cover subject to:

  • Where any open fires or wood burners are in use, that the height of the chimney must be at least 1.8meters above the thatch
  • The electrics at the property are inspected once every 5 years
  • Any chimney(s) in use to be swept at least once every 12 months
  • Thatch roof must be inspected once every 10 years
  • Any spark arrestors installed must be removed

Please note, we can only cater up to £1,200,000 building sum insured for thatch properties.

Why should you consider thatched property insurance?

  • Cover for every type of thatched roof construction, from Devon reed to combed wheat, water reed, Norfolk Reed, fibre and long straw
  • Cover for a  full range of heating types, from gas, oil and electrical heating to wood burning/solid fuel stoves and open fires too
  • Cover for your home whether it is owner occupied, listed, a holiday home, Airbnb or let property
  • Correct cover to allow for repairing and replacing of non-standard materials
  • Items like Jewellery and Artwork can be added to the policy

Most popular policy benefits:

  • Bespoke cover for your Buildings and Contents
  • Access to insurance valuers to assist with your Rebuilding Cost
  • Worldwide all risks cover as standard
  • Accidental damage cover as standard

Get a quote now

Your name(Required)


Why choose Stanhope for your thatched property insurance?

Stanhope is part of Stanhope Cooper, an award-winning, family-run business, based in London and Hampshire. Stanhope is a leading provider of niche and specialist insurance to the UK home insurance market, voted as High Net Worth Insurance Broker of the Year 2018 at the UK Broker Awards (Insurance Age). We focus on providing solutions that fit outside the standard UK home insurance norms, including thatched property insurance. 

We provide customers with a bespoke insurance solution that fits their unique insurance needs. Our expert team is dedicated to providing exceptional levels of customer service and want all our customers to know that they have the right policy in place at the right price, for their specific set of circumstances.

Thatched Insurance FAQ’s

How often should my thatched roof be inspected?

It’s our hope that your thatched roof must have been inspected by a thatcher within the last 10 years. If it has not been inspected within 10 years then we’d recommend you to do this prior to arranging insurance.

How often should my electrics be inspected?

We recommend you have the electrics inspected by a qualified electrician once every 5 years and have any remedial works carried out.

How often should my chimney(s) be swept?

  • Chimneys must be swept annually.

Can I use naked flames at the property?

No naked flames or tools producing naked flames can be used in the attic or loft space at the home.

Can I use my BBQ at my thatch home?

Yes you can, but it must be a certain distance away from the house. Be careful to check your policy wording.

Do I need to have fire extinguishers at the home?

Yes. For most of our products, two fire extinguishers must be inside the property, alongside a fire blanked in the kitchen. We recommend one fire extinguisher on each floor at the home.

Should I treat the roof with a fire retardant?

There’s multiple opinions on this matter. Some say yes, others say no. In short, the insurer takes a liberal view on this matter and we will be able to arrange terms whether you have or have not

My property has a thatched roof, can you help?

If your property has a thatched roof, then you will be aware of how difficult it is to obtain comprehensive insurance cover. A thatched roof is more likely to catch fire than a standard tiled roof. Our team can provide you with wide-ranging cover for your thatched property from our panel of insurers.