You have the right to object to us using your personal information. You can do this at any time by telling us and we will consider your request and either stop using your personal information or explain why we are not able to. Our contact details can be found below.
What information do we require?
Stanhope Cooper will collect personal data about you which will include your name, address, details of your insurance requirements and contact information. Depending on the nature of the insurance we will also need to collect sensitive personal information such as health conditions or any convictions. Please refer to the list below for more examples:-
- basic personal details such as name, age, address and gender
- family, lifestyle and social circumstances, such as marital status, dependants and employment type
- financial details such as direct debit or payment card information
- photographs and/or video to help us manage policies and assess claims
- tracking and location information if it is relevant to your policy or claim
- identification checks and background insurance risk details including previous claims information
- medical information if it is relevant to your policy or claim
- criminal convictions if it is relevant to your policy or claim
- accessibility details if we need to make reasonable adjustments to help business activities if it is relevant to your policy or claim.
This information can relate to anyone seeking an insurance quote from us now or in the future or whose details are provided during the quotation process policyholders and anyone named on or covered by the policy. It will even extend to anyone who may benefit from or be directly involved in the quotation, policy or a claim. Before you disclose any information about another person you must make sure that you have their permission to give us these details and that they understand how it will be used (which conveniently brings us to the next point).
Why we need to take these details
We will use the personal information in a number of ways
- to provide quotes, administer policies and policyholder claims to fulfil our contract;
- deal with complaints and prevent financial crime to meet our legal obligations;
- to send marketing information if we have received your specific consent;
- to manage our business and conduct market research to meet the legitimate needs of our business;
What we do with your data
All of this data will be processed and stored by our staff based in the UK where it is protected by UK law. We may transfer your personal information to Insurers or other third parties to manage your insurance policy or claim; this could be inside or outside the EU. Some of the organisations we share your personal information with have servers outside the EU The information will be treated as confidential and will not be disclosed to any third parties other than:-
- insurers, third party underwriters, reinsurers, insurance intermediaries, regulators, law enforcement, the Financial Ombudsman Service (FOS); and other organisations that provide services to us or you
- in the event of a claim we may need to forward your details to a loss adjustor or third party who is involved in the settlement of a claim.
- credit reference, fraud prevention and other agencies that carry out certain activities on our behalf, for example; the Motor Insurance Database (MID) and the Insurance Fraud Bureau (IFB) our approved suppliers to help deal with claims or provide our services, for example; vehicle repairers, legal advisors, loss adjusters, premium finance companies and risk surveyors
- prospective buyers in the event Stanhope Cooper Insurance Brokers Ltd wishes to sell all or part of its business or block transfer insurance risks to another provider
In certain events it may be necessary to source your personal data from publicly available sources, including information you have made public, for example on social media, fraud prevention agencies or law enforcement agencies. .
In addition, we will use your information to tell you about changes which may affect your insurance or advice on risk management. We may also tell you about other products and services that Stanhope Cooper can offer which would complement your existing portfolio. You can opt out from this at any point.
How long do we retain your details?
The information you provide will be kept for as long we need it to administer your policy. We will then keep these details for 7 years after your policy lapses if required to by the Insurer. If there is no contractual agreement then it will still be deleted after 7 years.
What are your rights?
At any time you can ask to view the information that we hold on file for you. If for any reason the information is incorrect you can ask for it to be updated or even deleted. In addition you can ask that we restrict the use of your data, object to how we use you data or completely stop using the information we hold on file. However please note that if we do not hold all the relevant details this will affect our capacity to manage your policy or assist in the event of a claim. Formally this is referred to as:-
- a data subject access request
- the right of rectification
- the right to be forgotten
- the right of restriction
- the right to object
If you wish to exercise any of these rights or have any questions about how we use your personal information you can do so by contacting our Director:
Address: Cedar Court, 5 College Street, Petersfield, Hampshire, GU31 4AE
Phone: 01730 777 600
Or if you wish to make a complaint we encourage you to come to us in the first instance but you are entitled to complain directly to the Information Commissioner’s Office (ICO) https://www.ico.gov.uk
Changes to our Fair Processing Notice
it may be necessary to make changes to this notice. When that happens we will
provide you an updated version at the earliest opportunity. The most recent
version will always be available on our website.